Tuesday, August 16, 2005

It's the Final Count Down...

I've decided that the best way for me to keep my friends posted about my travels to Japan would be to start an e-journal or blog or whatever. I think this is better than forcing people to read about it by sending out giant emails. Who knows, maybe I'll send out the monstrous emails anyway. Now on to Japan...

It's Tuesday, August 16th and I'll be blasting off to Japan on Friday, August 19th..9am. I don't really know how I feel. I am certainly excited but not the jump up and down kind of excited. I think this is because I'm going to miss so many people, especially my family and my cats. I'm also afraid that I'll be interrupting the momentum I've had with the release of my album. I don't know how people are going to respond to my music in Japan and I don't know where to start with booking and promoting myself. I'm going to be teaching at a school in Chiba-ken called "Hands on English." They'll be setting me up with an apartment nearby and there is a train station within walking distance. Not that I'm so good with the geography, but Chiba is about a 30minute train ride into Tokyo. My knowledge of Japanese is embarrassing and I've soaked in as much prior knowledge about the culture as I can glean from friends who've been there and books from the library...which isn't much. I'm not good at preparing for this and I think I won't really learn what I need to until I'm there. I'm thinking it will be the equivalent of jumping into a freezing cold pool. You know it's going to be cold but you don't really know how cold until you jump in.

Tonight is my little "See you later" party. It's actually not really a party but a bonfire/gathering of close friends and people I want to see before I go. If there are pictures I will definately put some up...if only for me to look back on them when I'm feeling lonely in Japan.

See you later,

Kate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate,
bring with you...

stick deoderant (they only have spray here)

beef jerkey (illegal to do so, but commonly smuggled - japanese people love it!)

"amiagi" souveniers... anything from your cd to a NJ magnet or whatever... they'll come in handy since it's customary to bring gifts to your co-workers (who you haven't met yet).

don't sweat, you'll be fine.

Japan is full of wonder and amazement.

the language is frustrating at first, but keep at it, carry a notebook and write down everything you learn...soon enough it becomes second nature (only 4 mos in for me and I feel like it's starting to stick).

I'm near Mito (about an hour north of Tokyo). I have friends who work in a club in Tokyo and I can try to get you a gig in Shibuya. I go to the big city 'bout once a month (wild, but expensive as hell).

I am not too far away and can help you with whatever you might need.

"ganbatte kudasai!"
(please try, fight!)

Jesse

email:
jaige_a@yahoo.com

snail addr:
Jesse Rudner
27-22 Ishikawacho
Hitachinakashi
Ibarakiken
312-0057

home : 029-274-5098
cell : 080-1068-3803

Building A Mystery One Abstract Notion At A Time said...

Hey Kate! It's AJ. Just wanted to let you know that I'll be keeping tabs on your blog and if you need anything you can always ask me! (within reason... Don't ask me to ship you a Marshall 4 X 12 or a million bucks). I'm sure you'll be ok. I spoke to Dave earlier in the week via e mail and he is excited to get you over there.... maybe a little too excited for my liking.... Kittens are the cure.

Later.